Redken has released details of the hairstyles at Paris Fashion Week that it contributed to, namely the autumnâ€“winter 2015â€“16 collections of Christian Dior and Balenciaga.
Guido, its global creative director, gave Christian Dior a science fiction-inspired ponytail look. In a release, Guido said, ‘I created this very long, asymmetrical side ponytail at Christian Dior this season, but itâ€™s not your standard, fun, side pony. Thereâ€™s something sinister and almost strange about it. Itâ€™s sophisticated, but very sci-fi and has somewhat of a child-like quality. First, I prepped and blow dried the hair with Redkenâ€™s Satinwear 02 Prepping Blow Dry Lotion, so itâ€™s super-straight and smooth. Then, I created a deep, exaggerated side part and gathered the hair into this smooth, low side ponytail, getting a
clean finish with Redkenâ€™s Fashion Work 12 hairspray. It has a strange sense to it because itâ€™s so asymmetrical and has such extreme length. Itâ€™s really a continuation of the woman weâ€™ve been seeing this season, who is more done with a very modern, futuristic feeling.’
For Balenciaga, ‘At Balenciaga, I created this very chic, sculpted chignon on the top of the crown that really accentuates the long neck and gives you a beautiful, elegant silhouette. Itâ€™s kind of futuristic-feeling in the way itâ€™s moulded to the head, but itâ€™s still very polished and stylized, which makes the style look very new to the eye again. I used Redkenâ€™s Guts 10 to blow dry the hair straight, pulled it up into a high ponytail right on the crown and then moulded it into a flat chignon with Redkenâ€™s Forceful 23 Super Strength hair spray. I left out two pieces of hair on either side of the head to create the illusion of little sideburns. Though the shape is based on something classic, the shiny, lacquer-like finish gives it a new, modern feeling,’ said Guido.
Lola Cristall’s fashion week summary will be published online shortly.
The look at Christian Dior
1. After shampooing, apply a nickel-size amount of Redken Extreme Length Primer (NZ$35, available in New Zealand from April 2015) to wet hair and rinse out.
2. Brush Redken Extreme Length Sealer (NZ$33, from April) on damp hair from mid-lengths to ends.
3. Spray Redken Pillow Proof Express Primer (NZ$36) all over damp hair.
4. Apply a nickel-size amount of Redken Satinwear 02 Prepping Blow Dry Lotion (NZ$36) to damp hair, working into the hair from roots to ends.
5. Use a comb to create a deep side part and blow-dry smooth using a round brush.
6. Gather hair into a low side ponytail, ensuring the sides are super smooth, and secure with an elastic.
7. Take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic to hide it.
8. Spray Redken Fashion Work 12 (NZ$36) versatile working spray all over to get a smooth, clean finish.
The look at Balenciaga
1. Spray Redken Pillow Proof Express Primer (NZ$36) all over damp hair and comb through.
2. Apply a quarter-size amount of Redken Guts 10 volumizing spray-foam mousse (NZ$38) to damp hair, working into the hair from roots to ends.
3. Blow-dry hair straight using a flat brush.
4. Gather hair into a high ponytail, leaving two small pieces out on each side, and secure with an elastic at the crown of the head.
5. Twist ponytail into a wide, flat chignon thatâ€™s moulded to the head, and secure with U-shaped pins.
6. Thoroughly spray Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray (NZ$36) and Redken Shine Flash 02 (NZ$38) for a lacquer-like finish.
7. Flat iron the two small pieces of hair on each side of the head to create the illusion of sideburns.